Architect: A C Martin / Milner & Craze
Listing: grade 2
St. Luke’s Church was designed by A C Martin and completed by Milner and Craze in 1953, in a simplified neo-Byzantine style. It is virtually symmetrical along its east/west axis and is sited to the west of the North Peckham housing estate.
The church is constructed of red brick with Portland stone dressings. The roofs are either flat or curved and are covered in mastic asphalt. All roofs have parapet gutters. The plan of the church is composed of a tall central tower crossing with north and south transepts, a short nave with shallow aisles to the North and South and an apsidal-ended chancel, also with aisles. The Lady Chapel is to the South side of the Chancel, with the choir and clergy Vestries to the North. Porches to the South West and North West serve the nave directly, with a flower room and WC served from the North West Porch. From the Choir Vestry, a cast in situ concrete spiral staircase leads up the Tower to the flat roofs and a studio room over the crossing.
The Creation of St Luke’s Camberwell in Peckham
During the 1860-70s the Rosemary Branch estate was built on the fields of North Peckham and the Rosemary Branch Pleasure Gardens. A temporary church, a daughter church in the parish of St George, was built in 1874 to serve the new congregation. It held only 250, however, and was soon obviously too small. The new St Luke’s Church opened in 1877.
The church, which is situated in Rosemary Road, consists of a chancel and nave with aisles in one range and a south-west porch. It is of the simplest design and is built of stock bricks.
Victoria County History, History of the County of Surrey: Volume 4 H.E. Malden (editor), 1912
The Original Church details:
- Built: 1873-74
- 1876-77 Architect: J E K Cutts
- Consecrated: 13 October 1877
- No. of seats: 700 (1894)
- Rebuilt: 1953-4 Architects: A C Martin; and Milner & Graze
- Parish: 1878 – current
- Population: 10,214 (1903)